Thursday, September 20, 2007

When dogs cry



I have not eaten for two days--not since papa carried Queenie to the car. She was very sick. The ranch has been operating without our Chief Executive Watchdog.



Until now, Queenie instructed me on what I could and could not do. At 2 1/2 dog years old (about 23 human years), I have much to learn from Queenie's 15 dog years (or 73 human years). (Us canines age 10.5 human years the first 2 years of our life. At 3, we start aging 4 human years per dog year.)

Recently, I heard Queenie's dog tags jingling. I jumped up and ran to welcome her back. But, it was just papa with her collar & tags in his hands.



I've been sleeping in places Queenie used to stay, so I can be ready when she returns. Humans say dogs have short memories, but they are wrong. My memories of Queenie give me courage to face days without her. The love between us cannot be disguised by her bossing me and my teasing her.



That is the way it is with dogs--there must be a leader. For now, I am acting CEW -- watching over the ranch, and Thelma & Louise.

Queenie and I will be together again someday soon; dog time passes quickly.

No comments: